Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Re-Thinking Soup


Classic Mexican Beef Soup served with fresh corn and lime

Activism is still alive on our college campus' today, as I experienced during my lunch break excursion to UIC's sponsored Re-Thinking Soup event hosted at the Jane Addams Hull House. A tuesday lunch discussion group focusing on topics of food politics, Re-Thinking Soup weekly hosts a different guest chef serving soups made from local ingredients.


Volunteers serving soup at Jane Addam's Hull House Re-Thinking Soup

I found out about this group, when my friend Efrain, one of the founders of the Chicago underground supper club Clandestino, invited me to come to this weeks lunch, and share my two cents on his chosen theme of supper clubs as civil disobedience. Efrain and I met when he came as a guest to my Forkfest this past July, and as a veteran in the world of underground supper clubs, he was very supportive of my first foray into the scene.


Efrain discussing his views on the underground supper clubs as civil disobedience.

I was excited to share in the discussion of the underground supper club movement as well as eat some tasty soup! I was not disappointed on either front. The conversation was active in promoting awareness of food sustainability issues and the soup was the embodiment of such theory. Efrain served two soups, a light and fresh corn chowder, as well as a classic Mexican beef soup, both made with all local ingredients purchased at the green market. Each was delicious (of course I tried both!) but my favorite was the beef soup, with its light yet complex beef flavored broth, served with a fresh cob of local sweet corn. Hopefully his recipes will be posted soon with the previous weeks soup recipes on the Re-Thinking Soup blog.

No comments: