Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Sweet Tart Treat: Raspberry Rhubarb Pie

This week I was pondering an important pie question: Can tart + tart = tasty? Normally you want to pair a sweet fruit with a tart fruit. Strawberry Rhubarb is classic. Peach and raspberries is the best. What happens when you take out the sweet and pair tart with tart: raspberry and rhubarb. Will they cancel each other out? Will it be too tart to take?



I was curious, so I mixed rhubarb and raspberry together in pie form to see what would happen. The results were delicious. These fruits are strong enough to maintain their individual flavors, but subtle enough for the sugar melt into the flavors so the sweet and the tart work together to form this little sweet tart. Here is the recipe I came up with:

Raspberry Rhubarb Pie


  • 2 pints of raspberries
  • 2 cups chopped rhubarb
  • 1 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1/4 c. corn starch (or flour)
  • 1 Tbs rosewater
  • 1 Tbs powdered ginger
  • 1 pie crust
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Make your pie crust. Roll out the dough and place bottom into a 9" pie pan. Here are 3 dough recipes I use all the time depending on my mood, and here are some tips to help with your dough.

Place pie pan with bottom crust only in oven and bake for about 10 minutes until the crust is hard and a bit golden. I like to pre-bake my bottom crust whenever I'm making a pie with a super soupy filling.

Mix above ingredients together and place into the pre-baked bottom pie crust. These ingredients get very soupy, which is why we need to add cornstarch or flour to the mix, to help the fruit juices thicken.

Place your pie crust top over your filling. I like doing a lattice crust top, but you can do whatever top you wish. You probably don't have to do a top, but for fruit fillings which can be pretty liquidy, I like having a top crust to help keep the pie shape when serving. Here's some tips on doing a lattice pie crust

Place pie on a baking sheet (to catch any overflow from your pie so it doesn't end up on the bottom of your stove) and put pie into the oven.

Bake for approx. 45 minutes, until crust is golden. Let cool completely before serving. It will help the filling harden so you aren't serving raspberry rhubarb soup.

Eat up and enjoy. This is the best part!

1 comment:

iwed said...

Hello, I find your blog. I like it. Great