Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Leftover Remix: Ghost of Halloween Past Becomes Peppermint Fudge

There must be a reason why every Tourist destination's historical downtown has at least 18 Fudge and Toffy stores. Everyone loves fudge, so I usually make a batch of fudge or two at Christmas time and this year can be no different. This year I made Peppermint fudge.



I have a lot of white chocolate left over from my Halloween treats I wanted to use for the fudge. Having chunks of unused white chocolate doesn't really count as a left over remix you say. I agree. So where are the leftovers. Well, do remember the marshmallow ghosts I made? Although a party favorite, I made way too many of them and had a bunch of leftovers.



So I've had them stored in an air tight container until I could melt them down and use them instead of marshmallow fluff to make my fudge. The white chocolate coating of the marshmallows would just blend right in with the rest of the melted chocolate.



Here is my Mom's traditional fudge recipe:

Fantasy Fudge
  • 12 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 7 oz. jar marshmallow fluff
  • 5 oz. can of evaporated milk
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 1 c. butter
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
In a sauce pan, bring sugar, butter and evaporated milk to a boil. Once boiling, start a timer and continue to boil for 5 minutes stirring constantly. After 5 minutes remove from heat, add chocolate and stir until melted. Add vanilla and marshmallow fluff and stir until thickened. Pour into a greased 9" x 13" pan and chill in refrigerator until hard. Remove from pan, cut into desired size and store in an air tight container in refrigerator.



For my Peppermint fudge, I followed my Mom's recipe but
  • used white chocolate instead of semi sweet chocolate
  • substituted an equal amount of my melted ghosts for the marshmallow fluff
  • substituted peppermint schnapps for the vanilla
  • mixed in 6 candy canes, chopped into fine pieces.
  • 1/4 tsp of red food dye


It turned out really well. I think I used more marshmallow then the original recipe called for yet this was my most successful fudge ever. I've had trouble in the past with my fudge not solidifying, in fact one year, I served a tray of fudge with spoons (I didn't pull it out until everyone at the party was well fed with drinks). However, this fudge hardened quickly and did not stick in the pan. It was very well behaved, so I think using old marshmallows instead of the fluff maybe a great way to clean out the pantry and make successful fudge.

(OK, this post is over and I am not going to write the word fudge again; that word just sort of grosses me out).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha! Fudge. FUDGE. I never thought about it before. It *is* gross.

Andrea said...

Don't pay attention to the word though. The recipe is delicious. I swear.

Anonymous said...

dangit. go ahead and nail me to the "V"...this former vegan totally ate 5 pieces of this delicious fudge and loved every second of the experience. well done!