Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Margie's Russian Tea Cakes

People love this crunchy almond cookie covered in layers of soft sugar. Also known as snowballs, and Mexican wedding cookies, these scrumptious treats have many names to suit every occasion. Last year, my Mom gave me my Aunt Margie's recipe so I could fill a request for our Christmas party, during which these were the first to go. Since they were such a hit, I'm making them again this year.



Margie's Russian Tea Cakes
  • 1 c. butter
  • 1/2 c. confectioners sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 1/4 c. flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 c. finely chopped nuts (I usually use almonds, but pecans or walnuts also work)
Using a mixer, cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and mix.

Add the dry ingredients and nuts. Mix using your hands until you have a solid dough. It is important to mix with your hands for the dough to get the right consistency of crumbly yet compact. Chill dough for 1 hour.

Roll into 1" balls and bake for 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees.



When you take them out of the oven, roll immediately in a bowl of confectioners sugar. The sugar may appear to melt a bit, which is fine. Allow to cool on a wire rack. After the cookies are cool, roll again in confectioners sugar. This double rolling technique gives a soft fluffy exterior to compliment the hard crunchy interior.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I adore those cookies! My Aunt Ruby used to make them every year at Christmas. Mmmm ... good memories!