Thursday, July 31, 2008

How to Peel an Avocado

Avocados for the beginner:

How do you peel an avocado? I've seen many people try to peel an avocado like an apple. This will work, but if you apply my simple three step method, you can save yourself some time and energy.

Step 1: Cut avocados in half



Be aware of the pit when you are cutting. Slice in far enough to feel the knife hit the pit and then slide the knife around in a circle until the avocado is sliced in half. Pull two halves apart.

Step 2: Remove the pits



Strike the knife into the pit.



Twist the knife and the avocado in different directions. The Pit should stay attached to knife and loosen from the fruit. As you pull the knife away, the pit should come with.

Step 3: Scoop out the avocado meat.



Use a spoon. Scoop out the meat. Put it in the bowl.

Done your Avocados are peeled!

2 comments:

emily said...

my husband and i have had many conversations about this very topic. he prefers your method. but for me, if i have a very ripe avocado, there is something that satisfies my senses about peeling off the skin. especially when the skin comes off nice and clean. the spoon just doesn't do that for me.

Anonymous said...

brilliant!
hey, what's the best way to peel/slice/whatever MANGOES??? i very nearly kill myself every time i'm handling those slippery buggers.