Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Myth Busters! How Many Bottles in a Box of Wine?

A friend of mine, not naming any names of course, decided since no one was drinking the box of Franzia, it would be a good idea to rip the box apart leaving just the plastic bladder. We found it hanging out all limp the next morning.



I've been told a box of wine is equivalent to five bottles. Now, I finally got a chance to test this so see if it is truth or myth. I scoured my recycling basket and washed out some empty bottles with corks or screw lids.



I successfully topped off four bottles and as I went to fill the fifth, I realized not only would it be full, but I had about half a bottle still left in the bladder.



I went back and found a handle of Beam which had the capacity to hold the last one and a half bottles. Five bottles is a myth! It is actually the equivalent of five and a half bottles! I can use the wine for cooking, but where do I store all this stuff??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that this is what you do the day after a party...

emily said...

mythbustin' your myths! A box of franzia is 5 LITERS not 5 bottles, so you get more than 5 fifths. Not all boxed wines contain the same amounts.....some do contain 3,4, or 5 bottles.

Anonymous said...

Actually, a bottle of wine is 750 ML, which if you divide .750 by 5, you would get 6.67, which equates to six 750 ML bottles-unless my math is off....